Saturday, November 7, 2009

Really, I am innocent

Bronchoscope image from Medline


Some background: I am enjoying my fellowship right now because I get to do a lot of procedures. My favorite is bronchoscopy. To do this I stick a camera in the lungs and take a scenic tour (think of it as a very clean colonoscopy). While in the lungs there are needles and forceps that go through the bronchoscope to get samples of whatever is seen. The needles are called Wang needles after the inventor, Ko Pen Wang.

Last week there was a case where the patient had cancer in the lungs but we could not get enough samples to get an answer. During the bronchoscopy, I used the Wang needle to get a sample but no little clumps of cells came back through the needle. It just filled up with an ounce of purulent liquid. The attending (the doctor over me) looked at me and said "I have never seen that before". Because nobody had ever seen this I was excited to tell EVERYBODY about it.




"Did you hear about my pus filled Wang?"

This statement is now all over the hospital. Looking back I should have chosen different verbiage.

4 comments:

Scott and Kel said...

A pus filled Wang??? Is that a problem??? I don't understand???

Taryn said...

:) hahaha! Whenever I say things that come out wrong...I just blame it on my country roots.

Chelle and Aaron said...

I don't want to hear about your wang...or anyone else's for that matter... on the internet please.

Natalie said...

So, so funny. So you Bart!