Christmas lights in the Columbia River Gorge, January 2010
This time of year always feels like a study in dichotomy...
On the one hand, there is the final deflated schlump from weeks of zany holiday carryings-on.
On the other hand, there is a certain fresh-scrubbed sensation to January's reflections and new endeavors.
I'm not particularly enamored of New Year's resolutions {hasn't there been enough of a physical and mental binge without adding a glut of list-making to the mix?}, but I am a goal-setting-throughout-the-year kind of girl; I prefer to pace my passel of self-improvements.
Simply because I like to write down my serious aspirations, here are a few of the big contenders.
Music. Be both a performer and a partaker.
Dates. With a get-out-of-the-doggone-apartment adventure at least bimonthly.
Dates. With a get-out-of-the-doggone-apartment adventure at least bimonthly.
Speak positively. Or zip it.
Hmmm...
I may find myself resorting to the latter at work.
I pre-emptively reserve the right to two grouses/gripes per day.
I am crabby in all this rain...My head may implode on this one.
Hmmm...
I may find myself resorting to the latter at work.
I pre-emptively reserve the right to two grouses/gripes per day.
I am crabby in all this rain...My head may implode on this one.
Visits home. To CO and to ID at least twice.
Feed the right side of the brain.
Schedule a class or "experience" at least quarterly.
Feed the right side of the brain.
Schedule a class or "experience" at least quarterly.
Not really resolutions, these, because they are already part and parcel of my nefarious plans for world domination long-term goals. But I do like to be able to check in on myself now and then...
Best wishes to you in the adventures of this new decade!
3 comments:
I could pretend I don't like New Years resolutions...but the LISTS! I LOVE LISTS! And I really love your list. And AND we should get together when you visit CO.
Oh, GIRL. I will be e-mailing your self when I schedule the trip! You and I will take little Miss Z and partake of amazing chocolate cake at a certain uptown spot I know.
As for lists, I love 'em too. I am a compulsive list-maker. Sometimes I have to put something like "brush teeth" on said list, just to I can have something to check off in all the craziness. I'm not dogging on the resolve of a New Year. I have just found that if I engage on all my self-improvement plans in one fell swoop, I get overwhelmed, discouraged, disgusted, and I botch the whole deal. I prefer to incorporate the doings into a more long-term schedule. That way, the changes seem to stick with me.
But for all the New Years-loving resolvers out there, I say go for it! To each his/her own
I am lister. and then I disappoint myself. This year will be different I just know it. But I said that last year. I view it as a way to at least revisit all the things you aspire to make better in your life. We do it with the kids. they make their lists,
Owen's, to be a better super hero this next year. Amen brother.
Post a Comment