Friday, March 20, 2009

A Little Story

So. The past few weeks have been eating my lunch. I've chosen to neglect the blog in favor of activities like sleep. Laundry. Job. You know, those thousand and one things that keep life running. But now that I'm rested up a bit, I have a story to tell you...

I was a senior in high school when my little sister was born. Sister number 3 is a precocious little nugget of blonde brains and beauty. A bookworm, a fiercely loyal friend, and a girl's girl through and through. If she wasn't already my sister, I would steal her and inaugurate her into the family. Little Miss Karli used to help me fold laundry, and she would invariably make a comment when we got to the lacy underpinnings. 

"Minna," she would say {for that is what I am called by my closest lady-relatives}, "Minna, I like your broths." 

And any of you who know the tender little funnies that small ones generate will know exactly why I did not have the heart to tell her that it was actually called "a bra". And why the terminology has persisted as a private family joke. 

So...with the family joke in mind, let's fast-forward a few years to my little hacienda on a dark spring night.  


It had been another day of working late. Another day of giving emotionally challenging care. A perfect day to drag myself home to my ever-loving beau, worn-out and ready to crawl into bed. What a welcome sensation then, to have my little olfactory sensors greeted at the door with the warm scent of turkey soup. Turkey soup that I did not have to make.  I sat down to a steaming bowl of thick handcrafted noodles, tender shreds of Sunday-dinner bird, fresh-cut veggies, and {get this, folks...} homemade turkey broth. Through the warm tendrils of steam, I looked at my one true love and he wiggled his eyebrows. 

"The Broth Fairy has been busy," he said.  
I chuckled. Busy indeed.

After slurping up my honey's delicious handiwork, I turned to finishing the details for our job-hunting trip. Feeding the kitty? Check. Packing The Interview Suit? Check. Remembering my lacy underpinnings? Check-check.  As I opened up my lingerie drawer to pack the unmentionables, I found an unexpected surprise. 
Something new.
Something lacy.
Something on stupendous sale from my favorite "broth" shop. 

And as I let out a gasp and a giggle, my one true love came and wrapped his arms around me, whispering in my ear, "I told you the Broth Fairy has been busy." 

Sit down, Santa. 
Take a hike, Tooth Fairy.
I'll take the Broth Fairy any day. 

2 comments:

Becca said...

AMEN SISTER!!!

Lynnette and Gil Padilla said...

So cute. I'm so impressed... speechless.