Saturday, January 16, 2010

Evolution

Charles Darwin

Once again science has taken over my life in the form of my own theory of evolution. Since coming to Portland the species known in our house as chocolatiere maximus has undergone quite a transformation. Darwin never would have predicted this dramatic of change in only three generations.



Let me present the first of the species.

Bodum Chocolatiere

This was my Christmas present two years ago and was a constant companion throughout the winter months of Denver. With shaved chocolate from Williams-Sonoma several pounds were added to the scale whenever I stepped on. The results were good but the froth was not as consistent as one would like.


A night visiting friends since coming to Portland opened my eyes to the second generation of loveliness and I had to have one at once. According to some in this household I have a track record of buying things for myself right before Christmas that Santa was already planning on providing. I have yet to see any real proof but the rumor is out there doing damage to my good name.

Back to Basics Cocoa Latte

This proved to be a welcome addition and yet was hard to clean up. The froth was better than previous but still unable to compare our favorite chocolate shop. Portland had unfortunately created something of a hot chocolate snob.


Fortunately Santa was not deterred by the previous impulse buy and set out to provide me with the best.

Bialetti Hot Chocolate Maker

Santa really came through on this one. It is a cross between a Ferrari and a hot chocolate maker. There is a special mixer that will make the froth as much as you want and I have since learned that adding Guittard chocolate chips works just as well as the shaved chocolate at a fraction of the cost. The latest of the chocolatiere species is in use almost every day.

Good thing I started P90X, although it was over a week before I could lift my arms high enough to type this post.

1 comment:

Katharina said...

This is the mad scientist who shares his fabulous hot choc with me on a regular basis.

Husband, we were simply meant to be together.

{And yes, you DO mess up Santa's game plan with disturbing consistency.}

xo,
Wifey