Saturday, March 7, 2009

Homer moment

My biochemistry professor (who had a lot of subcutaneous tissue) when teaching about lipids would exclaim "Homer moment". This was usually when talking about prime rib, ice cream or other things that have the potential to cause a heart attack. I unfortunately live for Homer moments and the following recipes have been requested at recent parties.

WARNING: These may cause you to yell "DOH!"

Buttery Corn Bread
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 2/3 cup milk
1 tsp salt
2 1/3 cup flour
1 cup corn meal
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
Cream the butter and sugar. Combine eggs and milk in small bowl. Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Add milk to butter mixture alternately with flour. (note: I usually do not do this because I am lazy. I just mix everything together in one bowl.) Bake in greased 13x9x2 pan at 400 degrees for 22-27 minutes.


Buttermilk Syrup (So good cardboard would be edible)

1 cube butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter, add buttermilk and gradually stir in sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to boil. Remove from heat and add soda and vanilla. (Syrup will foam up when you stir in the soda and vanilla, so use a large-sized saucepan.)

1 comment:

Becca said...

Oh Thank you Homer!!!!