Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spudnuts?

While going through iPhoto I noticed some pictures that made me smile.

For those uneducated about the world of potatoes, spudnuts are donuts with mashed potatoes in them. (Yes, I am from Idaho and I have relatives that put mashed potatoes in chocolate cake. Warning, mock not what you do not understand.) Growing up making spudnuts was a family tradition around Christmas time. Since I left my family makes it a big event with hot chocolate and sleigh rides. Katie and I do this around Halloween because everything gets so busy in December. It also makes the calorie fest of the holidays last a month longer.

Side note: My nephew has to take us on buggy rides whenever we are at the farm.
Buggy ride ~ August 2007

The first year we did this our friends mixed up the dough. Unfortunately she started mixing before reading the entire recipe. 15 cups of flour later and a whole lot of spudnuts it was decided to cut the recipe back next time.

The spudnuts getting ready to be fried.
Spudnuts rising ~ October 2008

The final product is such a homer moment, but so worth it.
Spudnuts ~ October 2008

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Hi there, random commenter here. I saw your comment about being from Idaho on Design Mom. I decided to check your blog since I'm an Idaho native now living in Colorado and saw this post about spudnuts...which I was planning on making tomorrow night! Ahh coincidence. Anyway, yay for Idaho!