Friday, February 13, 2009

How I Know

"Sensual" in red quasar, by Stuart Weitzman Shoes

There are some things in life that are fact. No ifs, ands, or buts. No need to question. No doubts. Fact #1: I adore shoes. I won't go into the depth of my feelings, but rest assured ~ they run hot and deep.

At a point about two years ago, one of life's curveballs had me struggling in a lot of doubt and sadness. I lost my head a little one day, and in an unforseen fit of self pity and impromptu indulgence, I ordered myself a pair of red shoes. Red satin, three-inch-heels, peeptoes, with little sparkly crystals on the vamp. 
They were perfect. They were sexy. They fit like a glove. 

They were $250.00

No, that is not a typo. Two hundred and fifty smackeroos. And though the economy then wasn't quite the abysmal mess it is today, that is still a heck of a lot of money to spend on shoes, perfect or not. I plead temporary selfish insanity. The shoes came, and I opened them. Hubby Love took one look at the invoice and would have swallowed his tonsils if he still had them. I tried them on, stroked the gorgeousness longingly, and promptly packed them back up for the return trip to sender. 

And that is when the remarkable thing happened. My frugal, practical, level-headed husband put his hand on mine and said, "Keep them. They make you happy." {I was back in my right mind by this time, so I overrode him and sent the shoes back for a refund, but that is not the point.} It took a seismic wave of compassion for him to say what he said. He tried to understand what I was experiencing and where I was coming from, and he stretched completely out of his own comfort zone to do it. This is only one of the actions that firmly cement how I know Bart is the one for me.

Fact #2: That man loves me far more than I understand or can ever quite reciprocate. But I am elated to have the rest of my life to try and match his love. 
He is perfect for me. He is sexy. Our lives fit one another like a hand to a glove. 

Happy Valentine's Day, baby. I love you even more than shoes. 

No comments: